|Views are being sought on a number of key issues around climate change, which will help to shape the Isle of Man Climate Change Plan for 2022 – 2027.|
The new plan, once agreed, will replace the current Isle of Man Phase 1 Action Plan which is being delivered at the moment.
Feedback is being sought on a number of policy areas, including:
· Energy – five possible future energy scenarios to provide the pathway for 75% renewable electricity by 2035, and net zero by 2050
· Housing – the introduction of Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) to highlight the current energy efficiency of homes so they can be reduced, and bringing forward building regulations to ensure low carbon new builds
· Blue carbon – the Isle of Man aspires to become a global leader in ocean-based climate solutions by managing the Island’s marine area, to protect and enhance carbon-storing habitats like seagrass and boosting biodiversity
· Transport – a ban on registration of new fossil fuel cars and light vans by 2030, in line with the UK
· Fossil fuels – consideration of a ban on future hydrocarbon exploration and extraction licences in the Isle of Man and its territorial waters. The plan proposes not licensing future hydrocarbon exploration and extraction, as it is estimated that extraction of the deposits could increase the Isle of Man’s greenhouse gas emissions by as much as 25%.
The consultation is available online. Printed copies of the plan and consultation questions will also be available in public libraries across the Island. Consultation events will take place throughout August and details will be listed on www.netzero.im
Links to key documents:
· Five-Year Climate Change Plan Consultation: https://consult.gov.im/cabinet-office/climate-change-plan- 2022-2027/
· Future Energy Scenarios by Ove Arup: https://www.gov.im/media/1373568/iom-fes-final-report_compressed.pdf
· Summary of the Future Energy Scenarios by Ove Arup: https://www.gov.im/media/1373569/iom-fes-exec-summary_compressed.pdf
· Supporting Document for Future Energy Scenarios: https://www.gov.im/media/1373571/future-energy-scenarios-supporting-document_compressed.pdf